Friday, November 25, 2011

Playdate and Pinterest Edible Paint Craft



Say that title five times fast.  I took a vacation day today from work to get in a nice looong weekend.  Sorry, you won't find me out at the crack of midnight looking for deals.  I mean, I want to, but I am way to lazy to drag my tired butt out of bed.  It is way to warm and comfy.  I'll wait til Cyber Monday.  :)

So what else could I do that did not require going to a store?  I invited my friend and her little man over for a playdate.  The boys are the same age and are partners in crime.  In the span of 5 minutes you will hear hugs, laughter, fighting, crying and making up.  Repeat. 

The boys have no problems entertaining themselves, but I figured having a craft handy would mix things up for them.   I had all of the ingredients for this craft.  Then, I remembered this one I had pinned on Pinterest as well.   I set up the ingredients and let the fun begin.

Here is my muffin tin filled with a tablespoon of sweetened condensed milk and a tablespoon of water each.   You can see I started with the green food coloring on the right.   That was 2 drops of gel food coloring.


Here are all the colors ready.   My friend and I had a laugh remembering how to mix primary colors.  It sore of went "Yellow and blue make orange."  "No that's yellow and red."  "But we don't have red, we have pink"   "I guess we are making peach."  LOL


Here are the boys scoping out the goods, marshmallows and popcorn.  I figured they could have a snack and do a craft at the same time.  Giant marshmallows are my son's new fav. "Sooo much better than mini marshmallows, Momma."


Diving in.





Devouring their creations.


The finished product, or what was left over.   The boys dipped the popcorn in the colors then popped them in their mouths.  I never got a picture.  They then took the Easter egg approach and then dunked the marshmallows as well.  The marshmallows dried nice and shiny.  I can't wait to decorate some myself.  



The verdict?  This craft was really fun and really like the fact it was edible. It is a bit sticky, but a snap to clean up.   It allowed my friend and I 30 minutes of uninterrupted chatting time while we watched "A Very Gaga Thanksgiving" (LOVED IT!) that Jaime DVR'd. 



Photobucket