Thursday, July 5, 2012

Clipper Hair Cut Success at Home!

Take a look at my handsome little man and his fresh new haircut,
done by me!








This is a big deal.

After a few
TERRIBLE
at home trims I have given him, I vowed not to torture him again.

Exhibit A:
Poor baby, his bangs were a hot, crooked mess. 
He looked like Friar Tuck.
Notice he is flipping me off.


Ever since, Jaime insisted we needed a pro to cut Michael's hair.
But this kid has a TON of hair and it grows so fast.
Visits to our local place were either every 3 - 4 weeks or
my kid ran around like a mop head 
(albeit, cute mop head).

I was catching up on my blog reading when I stumbled upon THIS
post from Young House Love and how Sherry cuts John's hair.
It was a really good tutorial and gave me new hope.
Only thing was she uses scissors.
That had been my downfall before. 
See Exhibit A.

A few weeks later, as I was running my hands through Michael's really-needing-to-be-cut hair,
I decided to google boys haircuts and clippers,
since I had a perfectly unused clipper kit in the closet.
If I can see it done, I'm sure I can do it.

I found two great tutorials that gave me the confidence to try again!
Besides, it's summer and no one would question it if my kid went to school with a buzz cut.
Buzz cuts hide all mistakes.

The first site is Frugal Fun for Boys and THIS post has great pics and videos.

The second site is Heavenly Homemakers and THIS post has a wonderful picture of hair angles.

Using all three posts and reviewing the video several times, 
I set out to tame Michael's tresses.
(hey, it was fun to say)

I forgot to take a before picture.
His hair was long around the ears and had no shape.  
Basically a long, fuzzy brown ball.

I started at the bottom and used the size 3 guard all around the back and sides of his head.
I figured I could make it shorter if necessary.
I then used the size 4 guard at the temple and top back of the head.
I like his bangs longer, 
so I used the size 8 guard for the front and cut the top.
I decided to go back over the bottom with a size 2 guard to tighten it up.
Lastly, I cleaned up the sideburns and back hairline with a Jaime's beard trimmer.


It really was just like the videos.
Granted, Michael giggled and flinched throughout the process,
but at least I didn't mess up his hair or have to buzz him. 
I did have to give him the hairy eyeball a few times.


Jaime came to supervise right at the end and was very impressed.
He even said I can cut Michael's hair all the time.
I think he was happy about saving the $15 per cut.

If you already cut the hair in your family, do you have any tips?
If you can work up the nerve, try it.
You may surprise yourself and save some cash. 

XOXO,
Photobucket

10 comments:

  1. That's a nice looking boy(and haircut!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great! I cut my 4 year old son's hair b/c he is extremely squirmy at Great Clips. Every single time I have taken him it takes 3 stylists and about 6 suckers to keep him in the seat. Que embarrassed mom. HA! You are so right on about the savings!
    I am your newest follower!
    Have a great day!
    Hope :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it funny how he stays put for you, but not the stylist. Thanks for the follow and am following back via GFC. :)

      Delete
  3. Well done! I have been cutting my husband's hair for almost 12 years which should make me pretty good at it. I still stumble when it comes to cleaning up the sides and the nape of the neck . . . and I never know how short to go with his bangs. Buzz cuts really are the way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is great! I think I may give it a try and give my son a haircut again with the clippers. I usually just stick to the scissors because I'm afraid I'll mess up with the clippers. But you're right it's worth saving money! We'd love it if you'd share this at our link party - Home is Where the Heart is! http://www.homesteadsimple.com/home-is-where-the-heart-is-link-it-up-wednesdays-1/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the comment and invite. I have added you to my linky party list and am following via Facebook!

      Delete
  5. Hey, thanks for linking to my haircut post! I'm glad your haircut turned out so well - he looks really great!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave us a note, we love hearing from you!