Sunday, July 8, 2012

Just the right fit

So, I'm talking shoes again.
I'm my issues with shoe sizing and fit.
(again, sorry for making you look at my feet)

I found these adorable sandals last month for $5.
I mean, they are cute AND in my size so I snapped them up quickly.


Then I realized that they ran big.
So even these size 5's were too big for my right foot.
Like they were more like size 6.
But they were so cute!!!!!


See.


After staring at them a bit, I realized that I could
adjust both the front and back straps.
In theory
And if I messed up, it was only $5 down the drain.
So I bought them.


They ended up sitting around for about a month
until I finally got the nerve to cut them up fix them.

It seemed like a pretty straight forward fix,
shorten both the front and back straps.

I pulled out some tools:
Needle and Thread
Thimble
Seam Ripper
Scissors


I started with the back strap, since it seemed easier than tackling the front.
I used the seam ripper to get in between the pleather straps and cut the stitching.
Try not to cut the strap itself.


I was lucky that mine came apart pretty quickly.


Slip the sandal back on and then remeasure the strap to a snug fit.
I marked the spot with my thumb.


Take the sandal off and line up the straps.


Use the same stitch holes to sew the front and back straps back together.
Make sure to not sew the stray part you looped over.



Go all around the strap and knot it off.


Cut off the excess strap and you are done!




I tried the sandal back on and still needed to take some length off the front.
After some deliberation, the easiest way to get the fit I needed
was to cut the toe strap.
(not sure of the technical term??)


So, same process as the other strap, 
take the seam ripper and cut the stitching where the toe strap
meets the top of the sandal.


Once opened the toe strap slid right out.
Cut the amount you want to remove.


Reinsert the strap and follow the stitch holes to reattach.


Since this area will have a lot of stress, I sewed over the stitches at least 4 times.


And there you have it!


I was able to wear my new sandals immediately with no issues.


They are comfy and still pretty cute.
Even with my wonky feet.


Hope this inspires you to fix the fit on sandals you may have.
I have ideas for a few others in my closet.

XOXO,
Photobucket

Featured on:


I Gotta Try That


Linking up to these great parties:



Tuesday - Tip Junkie * Sugarbee Crafts * Funky Polkadot Giraffe * My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia * Crafty Confessions * Home Stories A to Z * Homework * Not Just a Housewife * Project Queen *A Diamond in the Stuff * Cherished Bliss * Blackberry Vine * Uncommon * The Southern Product Queen Jillify It * Naptime Delights * In the Old Road


Wednesday - Someday Crafts *Sew Much Ado * Tea Rose Home *A Little Tipsy * The Thrifty Home * Fireflies and Jellybeans * My Girlish Whims * Gingersnap Crafts *  Raegun Wear * The CSI ProjectThe Stuff of Success * Lil' Luna * The Sasse Life * Fine Craft Guild * Savvy Southern Style * First Home Love Life * Family Home and Life * Adorned From Above






11 comments:

  1. What a great idea! Back in 1998 I broke my ankle...all three bones (tibia, fibula, and heel). When it healed, it was bigger than the other foot, so I usually have to buy shoes that fit that foot and are therefore a bit big on the other foot. I just keep trying to find shoes that fit both feet moderately well, but you're making me rethink that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know how bad it is to always have one tight shoe and one loose shoe. I starting buy just peep toes, until I came up with my shoe fixes. Please let me know how it turns out for you. :)

      Delete
  2. These are so cute. Great work! Jodi @ www.meaningfulmama.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great post. I have several pairs of flip flops with the same problem. With your instructions I plan to fix them! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You always have the best tips! I'm featuring this tonight at my link party! Thanks for linking up!

    Kathryn
    destinationcraft.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute refashion and great tip! Thanks for linking up at Friday Fun Party. :) Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Adorable!
    Thanks for sharing! Vicki@paperinkle.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great job! No shoe is a challenge for you, lol. Thank you for sharing at Freedom Fridays.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great idea! Thanks for sharing at Fabulous Friday. I featured you.

    http://herecomesthesun-kelly.blogspot.com/2012/07/fabulous-friday-36.html

    ReplyDelete

Please leave us a note, we love hearing from you!